Understanding the Threat
Inbound email is a target for spam, viruses, phishing attacks, malware, ransomware and - one of the fastest growing threats of recent months - account compromise.
Email compromise isn't just a case of unauthorised persons having access to your inbound mail either; hackers access these accounts to launch online attacks using your identity, often internally in an organisation. These impersonation attacks trick the targets into sending large wire transfers or confidential employee & customer information leading to irretrievable finances, data breaches, a lack of customer trust, and even complete bankruptcy.
How the Threat Scan Works
Our new Email Threat Scanner discovers security and compliance threats that have passed your security perimeter and currently reside in your Office 365 account. The scan will help find:
- Advanced Persistent Threats that target victims' inboxes by attaching malicious files and then utilize social engineering to trick users into opening them
- Find Spear Phishing, Account Takeover, Business Email Compromise, and other cyber fraud attacks that impersonate trusted senders and are designed to trick employees into clicking on a malicious link, sharing confidential information, or even wiring money to the attacker
- Social media phishing where hackers impersonate a trusted social media or ecommerce site and trick users into clicking links to malicious impostor websites
- Identify high-risk employees who are most likely to be targeted by spear phishing and business email compromise attacks
- Insider threats in which your company's employees may be knowingly or unknowingly sending sensitive information to external malicious sites, such as sending customer data to competitors or PHI/PII to identity thieves
- Zero-day threats from malicious emails that reached your mail system before the threat was known
- Detect email threats that already exist with within your email environment
Barracuda Sentinel detects both account takeover attempts and attacks launched from compromised accounts.
By analyzing both historical and inbound data Sentinel is able to identify behavioral, content, and link-forwarding anomalies within your organization,
and to flag and quarantine fraudulent emails. It is also able to prevent attempts to compromise employee credentials by automatically blocking
targeted phishing emails that try to harvest employee passwords.